High on the hills above Pietermaritzburg, the village of Claridge on the road to Otto’s Bluff enjoys a cooler climate and a higher rainfall than the city in the valley beneath it.
A short drive into the forest above the village takes one to the edge of the Bluff and gives a spectacular view over Albert Falls Dam to Cramond.
The village began in the 1800 when Healey Hutchinson, the Govenor of the then Natal Province built a hunting lodge. Later it became part of the farm Hardingale. The area is still home to prolific wildlife and a wide variety of birdlife.